Raging Slab - Raging Slab
As a teenager, I was desperate to get hold of this album as I'd read reviews which described it as Lynrd Skynrd meets Metallica which I thought sounded awesome.
It took me many years to find this record and, initially, I was disappointed because that description isn't really accurate. Only two tracks fit that description. Get Off My Jollies welds southern rock and thrash together rather than blending them seamlessly. It still works but thrash passage, rock passage, thrash passage is a little predictable and less inspired than it should be. Dig A Hole, on the other hand, is the perfect synthesis of the two genres and is easily the best track here.
The remainder of the record is muscular southern rock. Joyride is full of groove and swagger. Waiting For The Poison has a honky tonk feel to it. The excellent Geronimo is the closest they get to straight up Skynrd worship while Love Comes Close is a dreamy ballad.
This album wasn't hard or heavy enough for my younger self to appreciate but it has grown on me over the years. A fine album.
No comments:
Post a Comment