Thursday, 5 June 2014

Heaven 'N' Hell - Sleeping With Angels

Heaven 'N' Hell - Sleeping With Angels
This isn't the band that Dio era Sabbath became. In fact, I know very little about this Finnish band. They were (I use past tense as I presume they have split up) a strange rock/glam/power metal hybrid mixing driving 'Appetite For Destruction' riffs, glammy vocals with a touch of Ratt's Stephen Pearcy and Hammerfall's anthemic heavy metal.

Turn Me Around has a great chorus while the chorus of Two Lonely Souls is even better being huge and melodic. Take My Hand has a Primal Fear feel. Another Man has terrible, cheesy lyrics but is punchy enough to overcome this handicap. Almost Done has a heavy, industrialised glam metal feel like 'Violent New Breed' era Shotgun Messiah while the closing track, Paid All The Dues, is the heaviest track here and verges on Crowbar or Down territory.

The lyrics are basic and clichéd, centred on love and sex, but the choruses are big and catchy. The vocals are an acquired taste and sometimes become irritating such as on A Cry For Help. This was in a pile of cds I was going to get rid of but this is better than I remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment