Monday, 6 February 2023

Update

 Well, I never got round to cataloguing all my cds. Never got around to reviewing everything that I wanted to. Never got around to posting all the words that I had written. I just got the point where I lost interest. Once I got Spotify, the need to catalogue all my record collection subsided, mainly because it wasn't growing any more. I wasn't buying cds at the rate that I was previously, and this decreased even further until I wasn't buying any at all. Funny how technology brought some kind of order to my chaos.

Subsequently, it's been a number of years since I thought about this blog. And yet I find myself thinking about it now and wanting to write again. Why? I'm not really sure. I have been thinking more and more about writing down memories of my life. Maybe it's getting older. Maybe it's a midlife crisis. Maybe it's trying to make sense of the past and find some purpose in my present and future. However, I feel more than anything that I want to remember and possibly be remembered also.

A straight memoir would never be of any interest to me and wouldn't be interesting to anyone else either. All of my memories are tied in to music. I remember events, good and bad, through songs that were playing at the time. Music always seems to add colour and texture to memories. It's the one thing I get excited and passionate about. It's the one thing I can talk about with some kind of authority. So my idea is to weave musical memories into reviews of the gigs I go to. It'll probably be memories of how and when I first came across certain bands and artists mixed in with reviews of some of those bands. I went to forty gigs last year (and also missed a further ten due to COVID, illness and general apathy) so I figure I should have enough material to post roughly once a week. Let's see how long it lasts this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment