I only caught the last couple of songs of Escuela Grind. The last track grooved like 'Necroticism' era Carcass and seemed decent but I really didn't see enough of them to give them a rating.
There is already a healthy turnout by the time Siberian Meat Grinder take to the stage. They don't sound anything like I expected them to. From the name, I imagined a generic grind band but they are much thrasher than I thought they would be. The bass guitar sounds like DD Verni's unmistakable tone and the bear mask wearing singer sounds a little like Bobby 'Blitz' Ellsworth in places, so essentially they sound like a faster Overkill. Imagine the punkier side of Overkill ('Fuck You' or the 'Taking Over' album) speeded up. They have punky shout along choruses as typified by 'Still In The Game'. 'Bear Cult Is Real' has Iron Maiden touches and it isn't the only track with classic metal influences. They are even joined on stage at one point by a giant bear! Their commitment to their gimmick is admirable too. Wacky but fun.
Drop Dead was the first DIY hardcore punk show I went to, probably around 1995 or 96. I never actually watched them because the show ran late and I think I left early so I could get public transport home. I actually wasn't that disappointed because I didn't know anything about them and besides, one of the support bands, Lifer, had just blown me away. Heavy metallic straightedge in the vein of Earth Crisis which was much more my thing at the time (although I'm not sure if I was straightedge back then).
I saw Drop Dead not too long afterwards at a punk weekender at the legendary 1 In 12 Club in Bradford, and they showed me exactly what I'd missed at the previous show. Fast and intense hardcore punk. What particularly impressed me though was their attitude. I remember the singer berating the drunk punks who were slamming along at the front for wearing leather jackets. I just remember him saying over and over, 'you're not punk, punks don't wear leather'. They seemed punk as fuck.
Drop Dead still are punk as fuck. Singer, Bob, may be older but he is no less pissed off. Proudly anti-fascist, anti-religion and pro-animal rights, the band powers through a non-stop barrage of pure hardcore punk and powerviolence. It is furious, intense and relentless and I feel punch drunk by the time they have finished. They are a special band and they have been for over thirty years.
Napalm Death aren't at 100% tonight. Barney has broken his ankle so he sings the entire set whilst sat down. Shane Embury is also missing tonight as he is ill. Barney is the bigger loss though as they seem to lack something without his usual energy and stage presence. The first few numbers wash over me. Not a great start. After the first few numbers, I move from near the front to towards the back and this makes a big difference, the guitar sounds much sharper and impactful from back there. The bass sounds fantastic on 'Scum'. There are a number of good moments. 'Suffer The Children' is played furiously whilst 'Unchallenged Hate's buoyant death metal is enjoyable. Not everything hits the mark though, and a number of tracks just pass me by completely. With so much speed, it's the slower numbers such as 'Invigorating Clutch' and the Killing Joke-esque post punk of 'Amoral' which stand out and probably have a greater impact. The closing duo of 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off' and 'Siege Of Power' are both immense but overall, there are too many flat moments in their set.
Napalm Death ***
Drop Dead ****
Siberian Meat Grinder ***




No comments:
Post a Comment