Damnation's Hammer are sludgy metal similar to Crowbar. Musically it's ok but rather uninspired, and the vocals just sound like tuneless yelling. Some tracks sound like the more uptempo Candlemass tracks whilst 'Entrance To The Final Chamber' is tired thrash. The playing is workmanlike at best and the vocals kill anything good. I didn't enjoy this at all.
If there's one thing Cryptic Shift aren't, it's uninspired. They play technical, progressive death metal with so many twists and turns, it makes you dizzy. Atheist and early Cynic are probably the key reference points. Their fingers are an absolute blur as they blaze their trail across the fretboards. This is extremely clever stuff which I'm not sure that everyone in attendance gets but I think is excellent.
Voivod don't get off to the best of starts tonight. They sound absolutely terrible with my earplugs in, all drums and nothing else distinguishable, so I make the decision to take them out, which I am normally reluctant to do but it does sound better and I can at least hear the other instruments. They always were a unique proposition with their progressive spacey thrash and although it isn't for everyone, they draw a decent crowd tonight. Singer Snake gives it his all and is a real presence. He pulls a multitude of gloriously stupid faces but this all adds to his charm. It's hard not to enjoy yourself when he and the band are enjoying themselves so much. 'Synchro Anarchy's off kilter riffs are played with a punkish energy whilst 'Rebel Robot's mechanical riffs provide a satisfying groove. 'Sleeves Off' has a pretty clunky verse but a great pacy chorus. Although the material is an avant-garde take on metal, the band play tonight with an energy and directness which is impressive. 'Killing Technology' is just electric. The band have enormous fun during encore 'Voivod' which sees all the members (besides drummer Away) stomping around the stage with big goofy grins. Great fun.
Voivod ****
Cryptic Shift ****
Damnation's Hammer **







No comments:
Post a Comment