Wednesday, 18 October 2023

Nation Of Language & Walt Disco - New Century Hall, Manchester (4/10/23)

This evening features two modern bands who have their sound rooted in the eighties.

James Potter, the lead singer of Walt Disco, has a theatrical, almost operatic voice. Musically, they're quirky pop but the overriding influence seems to be Sparks (possibly because of the vocals). They occasionally veer into Talking Heads post-punk territory too. A new song even has a Duran Duran style new romantic feel, and a synth line in the chorus which sounds like Haddaway's 'What Is Love'. There are lots of 80s oddball influences, even if only for a short time. Sigue Sigue Sputnik guitars here, Laibach style electronics there, and Faith No More piano elsewhere. James' vocal style is probably divisive but it does set them apart. The final song has a New Order meets Sparks feel, even though I'm tempted to sing Bloodhound Gang's 'The Bad Touch' over the top because it has a similar tune. All of this should be right up my street, but it all seems a little too much. Too eclectic. Too provocative. They are very interesting though, and I'd certainly check them out again as I've got the feeling that they'll grow on me with familiarity.



All I hear when I listen to Nation Of Language at home is Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark. Live, they're a very faithful replication of their records. They sound excellent but at the same time, I wonder if they're too polished. Singer, Ian Richard Devaney dances around a bit when he isn't playing his guitar but overall, no matter how hard he tries, they struggle to fill what is admittedly a huge stage. I feel that I'd get the same experience if I was listening to them at home. I do pick up more influences live and can hear hints of Blancmange, Freeez, Visage, Simple Minds and New Order. Some songs sound like a-ha and Ian definitely has a Morten Harket edge at times. The closing song sounds like a more electronic A Flock Of Seagulls. Very good but at the same time lacking the grit and grime which often makes live music so great.


Nation Of Language****

Walt Disco ***

No comments:

Post a Comment