I first got into Living Colour in 1990 when I bought the 'Time's Up' album. I'm not even sure what prompted me to buy it. I don't remember seeing any videos by them. I don't recall any any stand out reviews. I don't even remember buying it. It just seemed like one day I didn't own it and the next day I did. The album is pretty eclectic and it took a little while for all the songs to grow on me. Sure, the thrashy title track and 'Information Overload', and the more straightforward rockers 'Pride' and 'Type', were favourites pretty quickly but it took longer for tracks like the calypso flavoured 'Solace Of You' to bury themselves into my consciousness.
The track 'Time's Up' has environmentally conscious lyrics. Around this time, I did a sociology project on environmental themes in the media and obviously I chose the medium of music. I copied out the lyrics to 'Time's Up' and also 'Greenhouse Effect' by Testament as part of the project. My friend Eddie found the handwritten lyrics to 'Greenhouse Effect' and asked if they were mine. I don't know what possessed me to lie but I did and I told him they were mine. He said he thought they were really good but said that the title should be 'Environmental Holocaust' instead. I think I kinda agree too. Testament missed a trick there!
Even though I've been a long time Living Colour fan, this is the first time I've seen them live.
They open with an energetic version of Led Zeppelin's 'Rock And Roll'. This is followed by the heavy rhythmic funk of 'Middle Man'. A pacy 'Type' sees Corey Glover's dreadlocks flying everywhere, and the rapid fire climax is great. A brief verse of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' shows how good Corey's voice is. This leads into an emotional 'Open Letter (To A Landlord)'. They're still all prodigious musicians, and Vernon Reid in particular hasn't missed a beat. 'Love Rears It's Ugly Head' is played loose and jazzy. A hip hop medley led by bassist Doug Wimbish, featuring 'White Lines (Don't Do It), 'Apache' and 'The Message', is great fun. A ridiculously good 'Cult Of Personality' closes an excellent set.
Extreme open with the high energy, hard rocking 'It ('s A Monster)'. Gary oddly looks like he's had an accident, in his headband and bizarre shades with an X on the lens. An excellent 'Decadence Dance' follows. It is clear from the first few numbers that Extreme are nowhere near as soft as people think they are. Sure, they're not Pantera, but then again we're thankful for that. Despite being a mid paced track, the Hendrix meets Beatles flavoured 'Rest In Peace' keeps the energy up. The vocal harmonies on 'Hip Today' are really impressive. A high octane 'We Will Rock You' leads into an amazing 'Play With Me'. The summery West Coast vibes of new track 'Other Side Of The Rainbow' adds a nice change of pace. The country stomp of 'Hole Hearted' is brilliant and really gets the crowd involved. 'Thicker Than Blood' has a heavy, grungy sound. Nuno's solo acoustic spot on 'Midnight Express' shows how unbelievably talented he is. 'More Than Words' sees everyone singing along and it is joyous. Things go from the sublime to the ridiculous, as a fantastically harmonised 'Fat Bottomed Girls' leads into 'Banshee' where Gary Cherone's vocals seem a bit flat on the verses. He was never the greatest of singers and time hasn't changed that but he is a great frontman. Nuno's 'Flight Of The Wounded Bumblebee' is where he really gets to show off, but then again I'd probably show off if I was that good. Flashy bastard! They end in the show in a suitably rocking fashion with arguably their strongest track, the new song 'Rise' which features THAT ludicrous solo. Another great reminder of what a solid rock band Extreme still are.
Extreme ****
Living Colour ****






No comments:
Post a Comment