Tuesday, 22 October 2024

The Lemon Twigs & Tchotchke - Academy 2, Manchester (12/9/24)

Tchotchke are an all girl group who play '80s style power pop in the vein of The Go-Go's and Voice Of The Beehive. The drummer, Anastasia Sanchez, handles lead vocals and she wails away on a few occasions, sounding like a cross between Kate Bush and Raissa. The vocal melodies and harmonies remind me of both the 1940s and 1960s girl groups. The Tammys' cover 'Egyptian Shumba' fits in pretty well with their original matierial. It's all pretty simplistic but it's pleasant enough.


The Lemon Twigs open with 'My Golden Years', the opening track on this years superb 'A Dream Is All I Know' album. All the key elements which make the studio recordings so  good are present and correct, namely the dreamy vocals and heavenly harmonies. It sounds like 'Pet Sounds' era Beach Boys covering The Stereophonics' 'Local Boy In The Photograph' but is way better than that sounds. Their retro take on psych tinged pop is glorious. The Byrds' styled 'In My Head' is excellent. It isn't all '60s inspired. They also borrow from the 90's but mainly the bands who were influenced by the same era, such as The La's on 'What You Were Doing'. The guitar solo at the end of the track is pretty tasty. Members switch instruments for an incredible 'Any Time Of Day', and the CSNY style harmonies are otherworldly. The Byrds sounding verse of 'Peppermint Roses' is great, and this gives way to a more pastoral, psychedelic chorus. The Hollies' influenced 'They Don't Know How To Fall In Place' has more great harmonies (but then again, they all do). 'A Dream Is All I Know' provides even more CSNY influenced delights. 'Ghost Run Free's jangly chorus is imbued with an infectious energy. The cover of The Rolling Stones' 'I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys' fits in seamlessly and just sounds like one of their own. Brian comes out on his own for the encore to perform a solo acoustic 'Corner Of My Eye' which has more fragility than the full band numbers. A solo 'When Winter Comes Around' is equally beautiful. The Jellyfish styled 'How Can I Love Her More' is exquisite. They also nail the harmonies on a cover of Gerry & The Pacemakers' 'How Do You Do It?'. I've only recently discovered The Lemon Twigs but this gig just makes me feel silly that I've left it so long. However, I'm glad that I've now found them as this music that is piped down from the heavens.




The Lemon Twigs *****

Tchotchke ***

No comments:

Post a Comment