Tuesday, 10 December 2024

Ist Ist, Cucamaras & Rude Films - New Century Hall, Manchester (19/10/24)

Rude Films have a pretty big sound. They have melancholic post-punk guitars and a throbbing rhythm section which combine to paint images of grey northern skies, working class former mill towns and the general struggles of living in modern Britain. It's a much more impressive showing than when I last saw them six months ago (and I liked them then anyway). 'Blood On The Tracks' features delicate Thom Yorke-esque vocals which gives it a Radiohead feel but it builds in a style more akin to post-rock. One track is a bit too discordant, with each instrument doing its own thing but in a way that jars rather than blends together. 'Gory Bastard'  has spoken word vocals whilst the guitar paints pretty pictures in the background, giving it an Arab Strap feel. Rude Films seem to have developed massively since I last saw them.



It's quite an energetic start for Cucamaras. The singer appears quite unassuming but his confrontational delivery owes a debt to Mark E Smith. Musically, they're probably more in line with Fontaines DC or Gurriers. 'Bleacher's Yard' is pretty thrilling post-punk with angular guitars and more of those prickly vocals. The penultimate track, 'Winners Chapel', rattles along like a subway train, and this relentless energy again brings Gurriers to mind. The final track has a stomping, anthemic chorus. Immensely likeable.


Ist Ist are a great band. I've seen them a couple of times and really enjoyed them. The records are great too, which makes it strange that it just isn't resonating with me tonight. Solid Hooky style basslines, steady drumming, angular guitars and deep, gothic vocals are all present and correct but it just isn't captivating me like they usually do. It definitely feels like a case of 'it's not you, it's me'. Maybe I'm too tired as I've been out all day. That magic just seems to be missing.

Ist Ist ***

Cucamaras ****

Rude Films ****

No comments:

Post a Comment