I enter midway through Inner Vitriol's set and the first thing which strikes me is the singer's impressive Geoff Tate style vocal range. Musically, they're in the vein of Queensryche's more progressive material too but they seem a bit leaden, although every now and then out of nowhere, they hit a lovely fluid groove. The penultimate track, 'Impressioni di settembre', is a Premiata Forneria Marconi cover but still sounds like Queensryche. The musicianship is good but I would just like more urgency. The final track, 'Endless Spiral', is riffier to start off with but soon settles into a similar pattern. Gabriele Gozzi's vocals are the saving grace because when he hits those soaring heights, it is stunning.
It already feels like more of a show when Klogr appear, with video screens, custom lighting and an introductory video package. Musically, they inhabit the same territory as tonight's headliners. This is quality, riff driven progressive metal which sits on the traditional metal side. The riffs are memorable and well defined whilst the vocals are gritty with a melancholic edge. The catchy choruses remind me a little of 'Hellfire Club' era Edguy. 'Whale Fall' is more atmospheric and expansive with a powerful, grungy chorus. They are a lot more direct than most prog metal. At their heaviest, they have a touch of 'Sound Of White Noise' era Anthrax about them. A tight and professional unit.
2006 was a pivotal year for me. I found myself newly single at the start of the year and threw myself into gigs. I also threw myself back into metal after being mainly a hardcore kid for ten years. That summer, I travelled over to Sweden for the Sweden Rock Festival to see some of my favourites, such as Alice Cooper and Whitesnake. I caught Evergrey headlining one of the smaller stages and they were a revelation. They absolutely blew me away and I subsequently bought their latest album' Monday Morning Apocalypse'. I also saw them later that year in Bolton and they were excellent again, but I haven't seen them live since.
Evergrey open with a fantastic 'Falling from the Sun' which is much heavier than the recorded version. It has some great riffs that are perfect to headbang to, and Tom S Englund's vocals cap an emotive, anthemic chorus. This sums up in one song, everything that makes them great. 'Midwinter Calls' fantastic singalong riffs combined with some choppy Jag Panzer style riffing is truly excellent. 'Distance's main riff is fucking thunderous and is complimented by a wave your arms aloft chorus. Tom's voice is fucking phenomenal here. 'A Silent Arc' rides another incredible chopping riff. The guitarist Henrik is fantastic, conjuring some amazing solos out of his beat up looking guitar. The dynamic, driving 'One Heart' is about as power metal as they get, with Judas Priest style riffs and chorus, and a blazing guitar solo. 'Misfortune' mixes a weighty bottom end with an arena metal chorus. 'Save Us' again features some great swiping guitar riffs. 'King Of Errors' is stomping good fun. A seriously underrated band who I had forgotten how they good they are.
Evergrey *****
Klogr ****
Inner Vitriol ***









No comments:
Post a Comment