Monday, 10 February 2014

Weezer - Undone-The Sweater Song

Weezer - Undone-The Sweater Song
This takes me back to the days of Radio 1's Evening Session with Jo Wiley and Steve Lamacq when I would hear great new songs every night and then try and hunt them down in local record stores. I bought this four track single after hearing it on the show.

The lead track is offbeat, American college rock although the 'pull this thread as I walk away, watch me unravel, I'll soon be naked' chorus turns it into a losers anthem which is probably why I was drawn to it in the first place. It works on multiple levels. On one hand, it's quirky and dumb but on the other hand, it's heartbreaking and vulnerable.

Mykel & Carli, with its use of harmonica, has a mid-west American vibe to it. Susanne is the big tune here. It has a killer, swinging chorus with devastating harmonies. This was the soundtrack to the unrequited loves of my past. This sums up what Weezer, at their best, mean to me. Anthemic yet heart-rending rock which makes you want to sing your heart out and cry your eyes out simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment