Saturday, 22 July 2023

Kiss & Skindred - AO Arena, Manchester (8/7/23)

Tonight is part of the final run of gigs for Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons and co. This comes four years after the supposed final run of shows, but we are assured that this tour really is the final time to see them live.

Like most British people my age, I first became aware of Kiss in 1987 when 'Crazy Crazy Nights' was a big hit here. I was still very much into pop and chart music but the song was anthemic and catchy enough to appeal to my pop sensibilities. I loved it but it was just another pop song as far as I was concerned and it wasn't enough to convert me into a rocker.

Two years later and I was fully into rock music. Kiss released the 'Hot In The Shade' album and I saw the video for the lead single 'Hide Your Heart' on a TV rock show. I love story based songs and the tale of Johnny, Rosa and her gangster boyfriend ('Tito, he was king of the streets') absolutely captivated me. It's co-written by Desmond Child (who co-wrote 'Poison', 'Livin' On A Prayer' and 'You Give Love A Bad Name' so you know it's catchy as hell. I bought the single but it wasn't enough to persuade me to buy the album and I didn't really bother with them until the late 90s when I started to dive into the old classic stuff. Let's be honest, the 90s weren't the greatest era for the band.


I miss the opening band The Wild Things but get into the venue just as Skindred are starting. Skindred are a British rock institution, formed from the ashes of ragga metallers Dub War. I first heard Dub War on the Sunday Night Rock Show on Radio One at my friend Gavin's in 1995. We were hanging out, listening to the radio when they played the track 'Why?'. They didn't introduce the track beforehand so I was trying to guess who it might be. Skid Row were about to release their third album 'Subhuman Race' and, post-grunge, it was expected to be much heavier. The screamed chorus sounded like it could be Sebastian Bach and it was definitely heavier, so I thought it might be a new Skid Row track. I found out the identity of the track afterwards and this gave me a new band to check out. It's laughable now thinking that I confused the two bands but, in my defense, it is probably less ragga infused than tracks like 'Strike It', 'Mental' and 'Nar Say A Ting ' and I still maintain that the screams on the chorus have a Sebastian Bach feel.

Skindred are heavier and more contemporary than the headliners. However, frontman Benji Webb is very charismatic and immediately gets the crowd onside. 'L.O.V.E. (Smile Please)' from the new album is very upbeat and bouncy, and has a SL2 meets ragga vibe. Every song has crowd interaction and Benji is absolutely hilarious. There are lots of pop culture references peppered throughout the set, ranging from Van Helen's 'Jump' and House Of Pain's 'Jump Around' to Simon Bates' 'Our Tune'. The latter acts as an introduction to an authentic and fearsome 'Kill The Power'. 'Nobody' is rousing ragga metal which barks back to Dub War whilst some of the material has a 'Roots' era Sepultura feel, especially on closing number 'Warning'. We even get an appearance of the infamous Newport Helicopter on 'Warning' too. In front of what could have been a partisan crowd, they go down really well.

'You wanted the best, you got the best, the hottest band in the world, Kiss!' introduces Kiss before the familiar opening notes of 'Detroit Rock City'. The curtain falls to reveal the four members descending from the rafters in a explosion of pyrotechnics. Unfortunately, the pyro is so loud that it drowns out the music and it takes a minute or so before my ears recover. This is a problem throughout the show whenever the pyro goes off (which it does during a good half a dozen numbers at least). Once the sound gets back to normal, it's clear that the band are on top form. Paul sounds like Paul, Gene sounds like Gene and Tommy Thayer probably plays better than Ace Frehley ever did. 'Shout It Out Loud' is anthemic whilst 'Deuce' rounds out a killer opening trio. Tonight, as Paul reminds us, is a celebration of Kiss so we get deeper cuts like 'War Machine' and 'Heaven's On Fire'. The latter is much more enjoyable than the studio version. I would have preferred to hear classics like 'Strutter' and 'I Stole Your Love' but when a band has an extensive back catalogue like Kiss, there will always be something you wish they would have played instead. A beefy ''I Love It Loud'  follows with Gene breathing fire at the end of it. An excellent 'Say Yeah' ( the newest track played tonight) is vintage Kiss, sounding like it could have come out in the late 70s or early 80s. 'Lick It Up' is excellent, whilst a ballsy 'Doctor Love' has the whole crowd clapping along. 'Psycho Circus' leads into a drum solo from Eric.

Kiss really know how to put on a show. Pyro. Lasers. Lights. Fireworks. Balloons. Stage risers. Zip wires. And best of all, a gigantic perfectly clear video screen where they project computer generated graphics and archive footage as well as live footage from the show, which adds an air of intimacy to the show because you can see the expressions on the individual members faces and see exactly what they're playing. It provides a connection between the band and the audience because it feels like they're playing just for you. Gene gets his moment to shine as he spits blood and ascends high above the stage for his signature song, 'God Of Thunder'. Paul flies out into the middle of the audience for an incredible 'Love Gun'. Eric sings lead vocals on an amazing 'Black Diamond' and sounds fantastic. Tommy's guitar solo is awesome too and we get huge Catherine Wheels and fireworks for the doomy climax. Eric also sings and plays piano on an emotional 'Beth' during the encore. 'I Was Made For Loving You' and 'Rock And Roll All Nite' are obvious crowdpleasers and end the show in a triumphant fashion.  Despite the spectacle, I feel a little sad afterwards knowing that this is likely the last time I will see these legends of rock.





Kiss ****

Skindred ***

No comments:

Post a Comment