Sunday, 16 July 2023

Pulp & Baxter Dury - Castlefield Bowl, Manchester (4/7/23)

I first heard Pulp on the John Peel Show on Radio 1 around 1993 when he played the track 'Razzmatazz'. The opening lines 'The problem with your brother, he's always sleeping... with your mother' hooked me instantly and started my love affair with Jarvis Cocker as a lyricist.

Fast forward to Spring 1994 and I got to see them live for the first time. They were touring in support of the recently released 'His 'N' Hers' album.  I didn't have tickets for the Manchester show but they played an acoustic set at Piccadilly Records earlier in the day. They only played a few songs but Jarvis' charisma shone through even then. I saw them again a few months later at the Reading Festival. I was quite near the front, enjoying myself and singing along when a lone crowdsurfer moved over the crowd towards me. I was in the moment, enjoying the band and therefore oblivious to what was happening behind or even to the side of me. He got closer and closer without me realising and I only really became aware of him when  he  was already on top of me and had kicked me in the face, wham! It didn't hurt much as I was probably a little drunk already. What he did manage to do though was kick my glasses off my face. I think I managed to catch them so I didn't lose them completely but when I put them back on, I realised that one of the lenses had been knocked out. We were so tightly packed together that there was no chance of finding it again so I had to go through the rest of the weekend with just one lens in my glasses. I wasn't prepared for it and I didn't see him coming. I also didn't expect anyone to crowd surf, they're hardly that type of band. Fucker. Jarvis commanded the festival crowd expertly but the incident put a bit of a dampener on the performance.

Baxter Dury is the opening act tonight. Son of the late Ian Dury whose chart topper 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' was the first single I ever bought. He starts off playing whimsical indie pop with lovely backing vocals. However, Dury possesses some of his father's eccentricities, and his confrontational vocals and presence are at odds with the sweetness of the music, sounding like Stereolab fronted by Mark E Smith. Dury's aggressive vocals aren't for everyone (my wife hated them) but I don't mind them, they remind me of Sleaford Mods. I just wish they complemented the music more, which is actually pretty good. The music gets harder edged the deeper we go into the set. Some songs have throbbing Duran Duran style basslines whilst the final track is very clubby and suits the vocals much more. The 90s rave style banger is easily the best song in the set and gets a decent reaction from the crowd who just want to party.

Pulp have no problem in satisfying the need to cut loose. 'This Is What We Do For An Encore' is projected onto the screen at the back as they enter the stage. They open with a killer 'I Spy' as Jarvis rises onto the stage silhouetted against a giant moon. 'Disco 2000' is glorious and incites a mass singalong. Objectivity is lost as I just get swept up in the euphoria of this band playing these songs so well. 'Mis-Shapes' and 'F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E.' just beg to be screamed along to at the top of your lungs. 'Something's Changed' is dedicated to the late Steve Mackey. The accompanying orchestra really lifts tracks like 'Weeds' and the spectacular 'Sunrise' (which closes the regular set), which both sound enormous. The added strings also make 'This Is Hardcore' (always my favourite Pulp song) seem particularly epic. Lasers and whistles preceed 'Sorted For E's And Whizz'. Jarvis and the band are clearly on top form. 'Do You Remember The First Time?' is very energetic whilst 'Babies' is incredible. To see the whole crowd screaming 'I know you don't believe it's true but I went with her 'cos she looks like you, my God' in unison is amazing. 'Common People' closes the show in a spectacular manner and as expected the crowd goes nuts. A top notch performance and a glorious way to make a comeback.


Pulp *****

Baxter Dury ***

No comments:

Post a Comment