Tuesday, 8 April 2025

Knocked Loose & Basement - Victoria Warehouse, Manchester (18/3/25)

When this stacked line up was first announced, I really wanted to get a ticket mainly because of the other two bands on the bill, Harm's Way and Pest Control. However, much to my disappointment, it sold out instantly. This morning, however, my friend asked me if I wanted him to get us put on the guestlist. Of course, I said yes. If I had bought tickets though, I would have been really disappointed because the queue to get in the venue is so big and slow moving that I miss both of the two opening acts. Nah, that's a lie, I'd have been well pissed off.

Basement mix dense post-hardcore grooves with emotional hardcore. Andrew Fisher's vocals are earnest and heartfelt. Some of the faster, melodic material verges on pop punk at times but they are better when they play slower and heavier. One track has a Quicksand urgency and this showcases them at their best. Another track sounds like a post-hardcore version of The Cure's 'Just Like Heaven'. They grow on me and the crowd the longer the set goes on, and the singalong for the final track is pretty impressive. What starts off as pretty standard definitely gets better as the set progresses.



Knocked Loose explode on to the stage with an absolute barrage of noise. It's heavy as hell but seems to lack cohesion and sounds a little like a drumkit falling down the stairs. Subsequent songs are more focused in their attack but still lack the intensity I'd expect from a band like this. There is too much asking the audience to jump for my liking although the crowd are more than happy to oblige, and it is a pretty cool sight to behold. 'Don't Reach For Me' has a thunderous bottom end. Bryan Garris' high pitched vocals remind me of the hardcore band Brother's Keeper. The vocals of that band were really divisive but I quite liked them. Given how contentious the vocals are,  it is crazy to see how big Knocked Loose have become. It is heavy as hell but feels curiously hollow, with little substance to it. My mate suspects it could be a result of the triggered drums. We are clearly in the minority though as the crowd are going bananas, with hundreds of crowdsurfers going over the barrier. There is a weird moment during 'Everything Is Quiet Now' where it ends very abruptly. It is just after Bryan had encouraged the crowd to split for a wall of death, which I am informed is banned in O2 venues so it seems the power may have been pulled. The band do return for more songs but we decide that we've seen enough and leave early to avoid the rush (and to grab a Rubicon).



Knocked Loose ***

Basement ***

No comments:

Post a Comment