Thursday, 3 April 2025

Nordic Giants - Band On The Wall, Manchester (14/3/25)

I'm not meant to be here tonight. I have tickets for another show and generally, once I've got tickets for a show, even if something fantastic is scheduled for the same night, I'll stick with the original show. However, listening to Nordic Giants this week, I experienced a serious case of FOMO and figured that I could catch Nordic Giants as they are the opening act tonight (supporting And This Will Destroy You) before heading over to my other gig afterwards.

Nordic Giants' elegant piano led post-rock is very good in isolation but when combined with the visuals it is stunning. The first film is a dystopian animation in the vein of Jamie Hewlett (Tank Girl, Gorillaz). The second film ('The Gift' I think it's called) which accompanies 'Mechanical Minds' is a live action piece which is kinda the Romanovs meets 'I, Robot'. It is extremely moving and thought provoking. The excellent 'Taxonomy Of Illusions' is a little more dance orientated, like Gogo Penguin. 'Faceless' has an epic Radiohead feel, and the urgency of the climax is matched by the disturbing visuals. The 'Pencilhead' film is a pencil drawn animation which mixes Hayao Miyazaki, 'Tank Girl', Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' and Radiohead amongst others, and the accompanying 'Together' is stirring as hell. No 'The Last Breath' though which is the most devastating film they have in their arsenal. An amazing showcase of art.

Nordic Giants ****

No comments:

Post a Comment